Thursday, February 2, 2012

Reaction to "Digital Nation" Video

      Like everything else in our fast-paced, digital world, there are both positive and negative side effects of technology. It allows one to expand his or her knowledge tenfold; but at the same time, it can run our lives. In Frontline's video "Digital Nation", more of the negative side is displayed, showing kids becoming addicted to video games, losing the basic ability to interact at a healthy level, etc.
       I felt that so much reflection on the negative aspect of technology was focused upon, that the positive consequences were fairly lost. However, I believe that they were trying to make the point that balance is extremely important, as well as responsibility. Technology is power that people have to understand affects more than just one individual if used in a negative or harmful manner. 

       To some extent, I agree that we are losing a sense of common courtesy and respect toward others, but at the same time, we have become such a knowledgeable, more open community of people through technology. I hope we never lose the ability or desire to pick up a paperback or hardback book and read, because technology, I know for me, can never replace the satisfaction of sitting on a rainy day, reading. It's theraputic, in my opinion, and there's nothing quite like it. Straining to read a book on my iPod Touch is not my idea of fun. I am aware of my resources, iPod, Kindle, online, but I choose to read real, tangible books, just like I always have and always will.
        Technology is ever-present and ever-changing. I believe that we cannot stop the fast rate at which it is growing in society, but we CAN be aware of our resources and have that ability to use them responsibly. I sincerely hope that we do not lose the appreciation for art, literature, music, travel, and other simple joys in life. We must learn to find a healthy balance, plain and simple.




-Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment